Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions and answers about our programs. If you don’t find the information that you’re looking for here, please Contact Us.
1. I am expecting a child in the future and will require subsidized child care. Should I apply now?
There are limited child care spaces for infants (i.e. 0 – 17 months old) in most communities within the Rainy River District. If you are expecting a child in the near future and are going to require child care, it’s recommended that you contact the child care provider as soon as possible.
Currently, there is no waiting list for child care fee subsidy once your child is enrolled in a licensed early learning and child care centre.
2. Who can apply for child care fee subsidy?
Any family who needs help with the cost of licensed child care for their children (up to 12 years of age) and meets the following criteria can apply for fee subsidy:
- lives in the Rainy River District, or
- is moving to the Rainy River District, and
- has secured a spot for your child(ren) at a licensed early learning and child care centre
Each parent/guardian is either
- in school or planning to go to school, or
- if you or your child has a special need you can also apply.
Each parent/guardian has submitted their most recent Income Tax Return
- If you are a new immigrant to Canada this year or if you are under 18 years of age, you may apply without your most recent Tax Return.
3. How is eligibility for child care fee subsidy determined?
The child care fee subsidy is a program that helps eligible families pay for child care costs at licensed programs for children from birth to 12 years old who need to be in a child care program because parents are working, attending school, training or participating in upgrading skill courses. Eligible hours of child care fee subsidy are based on the parent's hours of work, school and participation in upgrading skill courses.
Financial eligibility is determined using a standardized provincial income test. It is based on your annual net income which is identified on line 236 of your Canada Revenue Notice of Assessment (NOA).
4. I’m not sure if I’ll qualify for fee subsidy. Do I have to fill out an application to find out?
There are several variables that can affect your eligibility for child care fee subsidy including the number of children enrolled in child care, your net income, the type of care required, and the numbers of days of care required. If you think you might be eligible we encourage you to apply. If you’re uncertain about your potential eligibility, please call one of our Caseworkers to talk about your questions.
5. What if I don’t agree with the decision that was made about my child care fee subsidy?
If your Caseworker is unable to help you with your concerns and you wish to appeal the decision concerning your child care fee subsidy, you can submit a written request for a review to the Integrated Service Manager (Children’s Services) within ten business days of receiving your notice of decision from the Rainy River DSSAB. Every written appeal will be reviewed by a committee and the original application will be reassessed. Any new information relevant to your situation may also be submitted along with your appeal.
All appeals will be conducted within ten business days.
6. I have a child with special needs. Are there child care spots available?
All licensed early learning and child care centres within the District offer inclusive programs to families. Special Needs Resourcing funds are provided to centres by the Rainy River DSSAB to hire Resource Teachers to support the integration of children with special needs.
Resource Teachers prepare individual program plans (IPP) for children and support the child’s educators in developing and carrying out daily activities in accordance with these plans. The purpose of an IPP is to maximize a child’s individual growth and development by working on individualized goals for the child. The goal is to have the Resource Teacher, child care staff and the family work together as a team for the successful inclusion of every child.
Please note: If child care fee subsidy is also required, eligibility is determined based on the family's income and care requirements.